Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Basilica San Marco Venice ~ a short video on the inspiration behind this quilt

Basilica San Marco Venice (50x21 inches) by Jane LaFazio $800.

Thought you'd enjoy this video of me talking about my art quilt, Basilica San Marco Venice.

My husband and I visited Venice, Italy, in 2012. It was our first time there. Oh my goodness, I love Venice!! Just an amazing city and you should add it to your bucket list for sure.

I was so inspired, I created this artwork inspired by our trip.
You see this classic architecture element everywhere! 

I love architectural details and am always inspired by them. I created a dimensional shape (using cut up mat board) and then did rubbings using Shiva paint sticks for the colors.
a rubbing created by me, Jane LaFazio
the cloth in progress by Jane LaFazio
detail of the finished quilt Basilica San Marco Venice  by Jane LaFazio

detail of the finished quilt Basilica San Marco Venice  by Jane LaFazio
detail of the finished quilt Basilica San Marco Venice  by Jane LaFazio
My husband, on the balcony of Basilica San Marco,
with the replicas of the horses behind him.
The original, over 1100 year old horses of San Marco inside the church museum
The horses are an iconic image in Venice, so I had to include them in my quilt too.
detail of the finished quilt Basilica San Marco Venice  by Jane LaFazio
detail of the finished quilt Basilica San Marco Venice  by Jane LaFazio 
 Hope you enjoyed a closer look of Basilica San Marco Venice.

3 comments:

  1. Mahalo for the lovely quilt, video and post. i was only 19 when i was in that part of the world. I would appreciate it now so much more.fortunate are those that travel to your workshops and see the arts, through your eyes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful, rich piece! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful piece captures an out of time feel for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails