Thursday, May 22, 2014

Matilija Poppies

matilija poppy ~ photo by Jane LaFazio
photo by Jane LaFazio
Another obsession, I mean, interest of mine, is Matilija Poppies. The grow wild and bloom this time of year. I love looking at them, photographing and drawing. (A quilt is next, for sure!)
Matilija Poppies ~ in my sketchbook
My painting stuff. photo by Jane LaFazio
I visited the lovely Fullerton Arboretum recently, and went straight to the poppies.
Matilija Poppies ~ in my sketchbook
photo by Jane LaFazio
Matilija Poppies ~ in my sketchbook
Sketchbook page in progress ~ by Jane LaFazio
Matilija Poppies ~ in my sketchbook
from my sketchbook ~ by Jane LaFazio
Matilija Poppies ~ in my sketchbook
photo by Jane LaFazio
One of my esteemed blog readers referred to these flowers as
"a dandelion in a wedding dress." 

matilija poppy
photo by Jane LaFazio
Matilija Poppies ~ in my sketchbook
 detail from my sketchbook ~ by Jane LaFazio

Matilija Poppies ~ in my sketchbook
 detail from my sketchbook ~ by Jane LaFazio
matilija poppy
photo by Jane LaFazio
Matilija Poppies ~ in my sketchbook
 detail from my sketchbook ~ by Jane LaFazio
matilija poppy
photo by Jane LaFazio

Matilija Poppies ~ in my sketchbook
 detail from my sketchbook ~ by Jane LaFazio
Matilija Poppies ~ in my sketchbook
 detail from my sketchbook ~ by Jane LaFazio

16 comments:

  1. Oh I wish I lived near San Diego - I would definitely sign up for your class! I found your art through Sketchbook Skool (review on my blog today) and even though I didn't mean to pick a favorite it was you. Hand's down! I just love your style, Jane. Thanks for the inspiration! Your photos and sketches in today's post are just lovely! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work as always Jane. Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! These are some of my favorite flowers. I've tried to get them to grow in my yard but no luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish they grew up here in CT. I have a feeling I probably first found out about them from you when I lived in San Diego many years ago (over a decade & a half!) and I think you painted them even back then! They are just simply beautiful- loved seeing this page & all the variations of this plant that you've included!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these poppies too. Too bad there are none in Colorado but the last time I was in California they were blooming up a storm in San Juan Capistrano. They look like sunny side up eggs to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely, just absolutely lovely. . . . and thank you Jane for sharing. Hugs, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just wonderful! Thanks for your always inspiring art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so talented. These drawings are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those poppies and your work are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank You Jane for sending along some inspiration! I love your M Poppies! So beautiful! I tried to respond earlier but do not have a google account and need to take the time to do so, so that I am not Anonymous! This is Lela M Friel, and I have taken a few of your on line classes. Really love your relaxed way of teaching and your art! Glad to be a part of your news letter and keep up on your creative self! Happy Fall! Lela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your drawings and your sketchbook style. They inspire me. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful sketchbook. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is snowing at this moment. Your artwork transported me to a wonderful place. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They certainly are a beautiful and unusual flower, I can see what captured you. What a challenge to draw and paint, but you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful artist you are - love your sketches.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails