Friday, May 29, 2015

The start of art ~ an art quilt in progress. Part Three.

in progress
Buddy helps with the arrangement ~ photo by Jane LaFazio
The finishing of an art quilt. You can see part one and part two of my process.

So, I've embroidered each square separately and now I arrange the pieces. I move them around for compositional balance ~ color and pattern.

in progress
detail in progress ~ photo by Jane LaFazio
I created this machine stitched image, from my original watercolor, of California Tower in Balboa Park. I stitched it on cheese cloth (using a water soluble paper to transfer the drawing.) It needed something more, so I beaded part of it.
in progress
detail in progress ~ photo by Jane LaFazio

in progress
Buddy oversees the arrangement. by Jane LaFazio
To assemble the squares, I hand-stitched the squares together, in vertical rows. (photo below)
California Tower: Balboa Park in progress
assembling the pieces ~ photo by Jane LaFazio
Then I butted up the edges and machine stitched (zig zagged) the columns together. I finished it off by adding a border (of the rusted cotton) and a backing.
California Tower Balboa Park_ LaFazio
California Tower: Balboa Park (24x24 inches)
 by Jane LaFazio
I'm quite pleased with how this came out! I'll show you the second on in the series in a few days.
detail California Tower Balboa Park_ LaFazio
California Tower: Balboa Park (detail) by Jane LaFazio
detail California Tower Balboa Park_ LaFazio
California Tower: Balboa Park (detail) by Jane LaFazio
detail  California Tower Balboa Park_ LaFazio
California Tower: Balboa Park (detail) by Jane LaFazio
detail California Tower Balboa Park_ LaFazio
California Tower: Balboa Park (detail) by Jane LaFazio

8 comments:

  1. Superb! It so very well captures the feeling and warmth of the park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work Jane! It looks a very intricate process.Thanks for sharing.
    Jane
    www.texturetrail/blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your hand stitching and all the texture. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great technique. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Balboa Park and you captured it's character in this...thank you for sharing the process as well. Inspiring! an't wait to visit Visions this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am getting really inspired! I have a 12" x 25" fabric collage that I have been trying to get ideas for, and this might just be the way to go... thanks for the nudge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails