Sunday, March 04, 2007

Doodling and the brain

A 3-day doodle featuring fruitstickers in my sketchbook moleskine. Last week I went to hear Dr. Betty Edwards lecture from her book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain." First published in 1979, it is an excellent book to help one learn to see and to draw. Her thoughts on the left side/right side traits of the brain were groundbreaking at the time and continue to amaze me. Speaking the the brain, I hope everyone has seen Bob Woodruff speaking on TV about his brain injury and miraculous recovery. I've just ordered the book In an Instant: A Family's Journey of Love and Healing written by him and his wife....You see, my husband has a brain injury. He had a brain aneurysm in 1992 and still cannot read, write, or speak well enough to work. He's on permanent disability. He was 46 years old when his brain injury occured. So to see Bob Woodruff in those early days, right after it happened and he couldn't write and sometimes spoke in made-up words...and how in just 8 months he was working on his TV special. It's a miracle. My husband did not recover his communication skills in all these 15 years. But don't be sad me for us. The first couple of years after he was hurt were very very hard, but now we have a wonderful, happy, productive life, full of love.

3 comments:

  1. Jane, this is going to sound awfully strange since I don't 'know' you, but I love and admire you. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane,
    It is MARCH. This is the month that I get to attend your watercolor jounaling class. I am SO excited. Looking forward to seeing you and playing with art, using both and neither sides of our brains. It is always a joy to be with you, and with Don. See you very soon. Hugs, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now we know you like bananas. This really is great with such much activity and color. I do wish I lived in CA so I could take a class with Jane on the west coast.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails