Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Tiny Tutorial: Cloth Covered Journal

30
 detail of handmade journal by Jane LaFazio
I created this journal with unprimed artists canvas, spray gesso, Luminarte twinkling H2Os, hand carved stamps, grommets and my sewing machine. The interior pages are watercolor paper.
1
I used purchased stencils and spray gessoed them on the canvas. 
2       5
After the gesso was dry, I used a variety of Luminarte Twinks to color the canvas.
4      3
The color is bold when wet, and dries lighter.

6
I put it outside to dry thoroughly.
7

8  9
And sprayed it again with spray gesso and a stencil or two. I love the heavily layered look.
11   12
Back in the studio, I stamped directly with the bottle and my hand carved stamps over the surface.
17
hand carved stamps by Jane LaFazio
10

13

14  15

16
I stamped on commerical fabric too. I added batting to the back of my canvas cover, and  cut out the flower and free motion stitched it to the canvas.
18

19

20
I stitched around some of the stamped shapes too.
21

22
Above is the cover, then a layer of batting and at the bottom, a piece of fabric for the interior of the bookcover. I stitched them all together, down the center binding.
23
in progress~ detail of handmade journal by Jane LaFazio


24   25
I stitched around the edge of the cover, then zig-zaged stitched a few times around the edges.
26   28
27
 detail of handmade journal by Jane LaFazio
This elephant is another journal cover in progress.
29
 detail of handmade journal by Jane LaFazio

35
handmade journal by Jane LaFazio
I added grommets in the center spine and the edge of the book cover, and cut watercolor paper to fit, and attached it to the spine with ribbon.
33
handmade journal by Jane LaFazio

32
handmade journal by Jane LaFazio

36

31
handmade journal by Jane LaFazio
Check out my teaching schedule here.

27 comments:

  1. Very Cute, Jane. Me likey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial. I love how this looks. I think I really need to get some of those paints. They aren't waterproof though, are they? Did you seal the canvas with anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great and thanks for showing your work process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jane for this great tutorial! Why did you use spray gesso? I have never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane , thanks for sharing this wonderful piece with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane! Thanks so much for this tutorial. Ah, the shopping list is getting longer -twinkle h20s, radiant paints, stencils - fun to be had! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to get myself some of those stencils!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't seal the canvas, just heat set it. I use spray gesso because I love it! and it's great with stencils.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tutorial! Thanks Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice journal cover. It's fun to watch your process as the piece develops. Thanks for sharing. It takes the "scary" out of venturing into a new medium, and gives us new confidence when we go to buy those new products.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great project. I love the way you stamped the fabric. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the tutorial.
    http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love this - and what a superb instructional tutorial. And I smiled to see 'Dick and Jane' - takes me back years to when I was using that series or reading primers to teach little ones. (Ann from UK)

    ReplyDelete
  13. great inspiration here; thanks for sharing your pictorial step by steps with us

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just gorgeous. Thanks for showing us your process.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jane, your book is beautiful!
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful creation and thank for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the great tutorial Jane. I can't wait to make one and now I know how!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE IT!! :) You are so inspiring and motivating with your pictures and techniques! I want to go play and be creative. Keep up the great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jane, Always think your work is beautiful and inspiring. The elephant stamp is adorable! You have given me an idea to draw and carve one for myself so he can parade across my pages! Thanks for sharing and the great tute. Does the gesso grab the paint while the untreated canvas resists it? Thanks. Ambal

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is charming,and darnit you are making me want yet more art supplies...spray gesso and those twinkling h2o's (which up til now, I've been able to resist!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing. This is a gorgous cover/album. I'm itching to have a go at making one now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a cute sketchbook idea, Jane! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Jane, When do you sleep?? Your work is amazing and inspirational.
    Ciao Ave

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is great- thanks for the instructions.
    Love your hand-carved stamps especially the elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow - what a lovely art project! LOVED the stitching...and really great to see the step-by-step process. YAY! Thanks for sharing your beautiful creativity :-) MischalaJ from Creativity Gym, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  26. How lovely is this! Love the colors and the stamps.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails