Wednesday, May 31, 2017

From my Sketchbook ~ Peonies! I love peonies. (and a mini-tutorial)


My husband brought me home some peonies


A loose pencil sketch ~ by Jane LaFazio
\
my view~ by Jane LaFazio


pencil shading done with a blending stump ~ by Jane LaFazio


another peony~ by Jane LaFazio

the page so far ~ by Jane LaFazio
Peonies don't grow in my part of the country and I just adore them! Thankfully Trader Joe's carries them, but it's a very short season. I felt I needed to capture these in my sketchbook. As you can see, I started with just pencil drawings.

Here's how I did it:
Step one: a loose pencil sketch ~ by Jane LaFazio

Step two: look closely at the darker areas and sketch them in ~ by Jane LaFazio

Step three: use a blending stump to soften and spread the graphite ~ by Jane LaFazio

Step four: completed flower ~ by Jane LaFazio

The page so far ~ by Jane LaFazio

The page so far ~ by Jane LaFazio

But I just couldn't help myself, and had to add some of that gorgeous color. I wasn't sure how it would work, over the pencil shading.
Watercolor right over the pencil ~ by Jane LaFazio

The page so far ~ by Jane LaFazio

The page so far ~ by Jane LaFazio
I really think I could have stopped at just the pencil, or just the watercolor flowers, but I wanted to push this idea and see where it took me. I will definitely try this technique again!
Peony Page ~ by Jane LaFazio (9x12 inches in my sketchbook)


4 comments:

  1. Very beautiful, perfect for spring. I like how you 'frame' your work, all the components echoing the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane - this technique turned out beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the peonies - miss them from when I grew up in Southern Ontario - along with the Lilacs.
    These are spectacular. Documenting them the way that you have in your sketchbook is so much more personal and beautiful than simply a snapshot. I love the look of watercolor over the pencil marks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEAUTIFUL page! Love the blending stump effect and the color!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails