Thursday, September 09, 2010

creating ART

 Here's another section of the quilt I'm working on, "Basillica San Marco" and I'm pretty proud of it. I wanted to depict Byzantine brocade, as I imagined it in Venice in the middle ages. Starting with dupioni silk, I overlaid rusted organza, then free motioned stitched it, cut it to expose the silk, then hand stitched with gold thread. One of the hallmarks of making ART is that first, you think of what you want to say, or portray, THEN you select the materials to create your content. That's what I've done on this quilt, rather than let the techniques drive the piece. And frankly, I very much like the way the piece is coming together. It's very true to my goal, which is to portray my impression of Basillica San Marco and old Venice.

4 comments:

  1. I adore this piece! I could go on and on about it! Fan-tab-u-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!

    Interesting to think about the hallmarks of making art. For me, it's a give-and-take process. I start out with an idea, and techniques and materials in mind, but they inform each other as the piece develops. Sometimes (okay, often) I'm discovering what I *really* think and feel about a subject as I'm working. The techniques and materials can aid the process of discovery. I don't know if that makes sense . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous piece ... can't wait to see the rest! I enjoyed your remarks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great use of rust-dyed fabric! It gives it a nice ancient look.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails