Saturday, April 28, 2012

Wild FlowerChild

Sketchbook ~ Austin
Sketching and Watercolor at the Wildflower Center in Austin Texas.

Sketchbook ~ Austin

Sketchbook ~ Austin  Sketchbook ~ Austin
After lunch, my students were busy photographing and finishing up their drawings, so I stole a few moments alone to sketch.
Sketchbook ~ Austin

Sketchbook ~ Austin
My page in progress.
I'd lent my waterbrush to a student, so I did these only in pencil then ink.
Sketchbook ~ Austin


Sketchbook ~ Austin

Sketchbook ~ Austin
my completed sketchbook page
When I returned back to our Lavender Sage Art Retreat location, I finished the page with color pencil and a tiny bit of watercolor.
Sketchbook ~ Austin


Sketchbook ~ Austin

Sketchbook ~ Austin

Our recent retreat, in Austin, Texas, was co-facilitated by my dear friend, Pamela Underwood. She's a fabulous expressive arts therapist, and one morning, she led us on a 'poetry walk.' From the phrases I jotted down, I wrote this poem: 

Wild FlowerChild

yellow wildflower faces beckon me;
lavender blooms gather for a meeting.
even the teeny tiny beauties hold their heads high and look at me expectantly.

the asphalt pathway gently guides me;
the sound of my footprints are my companions
as both birds and butterflies compete for my attention.

moths synchronize swim through a pool of flowers.
a shower of butterflies engulfs me
as the wildflower patchwork warms my daylight nest.
the ancient tree arms hold me gently, foreshadowing my future.
the bright green 
sprouts from the earth are my new beginnings too.

mockingbird impersonators increase the morning cast of characters
spiral shadows cast on the stone, the curtains to my stage.

I don't know the words to that birdsong
so maybe I'll dance to it instead.

Jane LaFazio
April 23, 2012
Austin, Texas

7 comments:

  1. In another life you were a serious botanical illustrator and poet. I can see you traipsing through the meadows, precious notebook in hand, sensible shoes, long skirt brushing against the grasses, grand straw sun hat with one bright flower poked into the band, sitting on a rock and capturing a small wildflower poking it's face through the soil in early spring.... Or maybe that's you right now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sketches Jane! I just open my scribble book yesterday. It has been a long while and did a self sketch of me..not even close...I do stick people well...Thanks for sharing, Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sketches and there is nothing like drawing outside. You inspire me to get out my sketchbook! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sketches always delight me, but today I thank you for your poem. The sketches are beautiful to look at and artfully representative. Your words invite me into your experience - and I enjoy the company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just sooooo beautiful, jane ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails