Saturday, May 30, 2009
Friday, May 29, 2009
The VERY good new is that a large non-profit in Escondido wants to hire me to continue Mundo Lindo, and we met yesterday. I'll keep you posted, but hopefully it will start up again in the fall, this time just once a week, but still free to the kids. I feel good about this--very good. Thanks for your support too!
Intro to Wet Felting Workshop
Aug 25 (1/2 day) Tuesday 9 AM – 12 noon taught by me, Jane LaFazio
Park Blvd Studio, San Diego $50/60
Materials fee: $30 includes everything.
Using colorful wool fibers, a modernized ancient technique, some creative designing and a lot of elbow grease, you will create a beautiful and feels-so-soft felt square in few hours. It may not be large enough to build a yurt; but it will make a lovely wall hanging or become part of another fiber piece. During the felting process there will be lots of time to visit and laugh with other participants and you won’t need to go to the gym to work out that day! All materials are provided for you including a selection of wool rovings and the equipment needed to create your own original 18x18” piece of hand-made felt. Wear clothes and shoes that may get wet.
Register: (858) 454-5872 or mail or in-person at Athenaeum Music and Arts Library, 1008 Wall Street, La Jolla, CA 92037 http://ljathenaeum.org/school.html
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Saturday, May 23, 2009
I'm participating in my friend, Melanie Testa's "Inspired to Quilt, video prompt challenges." These journal pages are the first step in creating some stamps.
Husb and I and a group of good friends traveled to Oaxaca, Mexico in 2004. It was a fabulous, fascinating trip! One of our best. I kept a journal with writings, sketches and photos, and for this assignment, I went back through the journal and selected patterns that intriqued me.
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
the text on the back of each card reads:
www.PlainJaneStudio.com and www.JaneVille.blogspot.com
Bella Italia: Orvieto Sketchbook May 23 – 29, 2010
Travel to Ovieto, Italy as a “journey of discovery.” You will experience Italy authentically and thoroughly. Learn about Italian food, wine and culture and enjoy learning to sketch and watercolor the things you see. You’ll will savor, experience, and delight in all Italy’s richness.
May 23 Arrive Orvieto, welcome dinner; May 24 Orientation, guide to your week, living in the moment.Learn to sketch what you see. Spend the morning drawing and painting some of the details of our B&B, its plants and architectural details. Colors of Orvieto walking tour, Italian culture, wine tasting; May 25 Sketching and painting in the town of Orvieto. Cooking class, learning the art of making pasta, dinner & wine; May 26 Sketching and painting on location at the Etruscan Necropolis and the Cathedral San Brizio Chapel. Shop for local treats and picnic, afternoon free, evening Etruscan cave tour; May 27 Market Day. Visit the food & flower market, sketching and painting the sights, and shopping for picnic. Sketch and paint our picnic goods. Picnic! Create portfolio to hold your Orvieto pages and mementos. Vineyard tour and wine tasting off the rock; May 28 Complete and embellish portfolio and sketchbook pages, show and share; May 29 depart.
www.AdventuresInItaly.net/s10lafazio.html or email info@AdventuresInItaly.net
$2475 Six nights double occupancy (airfare not included)
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Saturday, May 16, 2009
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Monday, May 11, 2009
Here's my flickr set of Spoonflower fabrics so far.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Saturday, May 09, 2009
Friday, May 08, 2009
Oh yea, and Melanie Testa is coming to San Diego to do a two day workshop.
Monoprint with Soy Wax Resist on Cloth
June 13 & 14 9am-4pm
Location: San Diego (NTC Liberty Station, Point Loma area)
Cost: $150 2-day workshop, plus $20 materials fee
Registration: email Jane LaFazio at PlainJaneStudio@gmail.com
Monotypes combine the spontaneity of printed dyes and cloth, creating a surface that is unlike any other technique. Each image can only be reproduced once, making your fabric unique and original to you. Combined with the use of Soy Wax, we will explore ideas of scale, motif, texture and depth. We will be using Procion MX dyes on cotton fabric in this two day class.
Materials include 2 yards prepared fabric for dying, fiber reactive dyes and soy wax and tools.
Thursday, May 07, 2009
10 Reasons go sign up for my “Bella Italia: Orvieto Sketchbook” May 23-29, 2010.
Dreaming of travel in Italy? Come with us as we share the treasures of this beautiful country through our Adventures in Italy - journeys of discovery. In this small group tour, we eat, breathe, touch, and feel the REAL Italy through authentic experiences designed to embrace you with the magnificent Italian culture.
1. Our hosts: Kristi and Bill Steiner, have vast knowledge an experience in Italy and Orvieto. They’ve been traveling to Italy for 17 years and to Orvieto for 7. Through the years, they’ve built friendships and relationships that allow them to share experiences with us that most travelers never get.
2. A journey of discovery: You’ll spend a week in beautiful Orvieto in what is called slow travel. By staying in one place, you sink into the daily rhythm of Italy, discovering the passion of Italian living. Linger over a morning's cappuccino, wander through tiny ancient alleyways, and savor long delicious meals created from the freshest local ingredients. Discover insights into artful living and within yourself.
3. A learning vacation: Learn a new skill of drawing and watercolor or deepen your existing skills one as you share the week with me and other like-minded folks. Use the colors and textures, the history and architecture of Italy to inspire your creativity as you capture priceless memories of your week on your journal pages.
I will gently guide beginners as well as the more experienced to draw what you see, to capture the small details of a place, while savoring sounds, smells, and breezes around you. We’ll slow down, sit quietly and really ‘be’ in a place, while we sketch and watercolor and journal artfully. The skills you learn here will be with you always.
If a friend or spouse wants to join you on the trip, and not take my workshop, they can pay a lesser fee and still join us for all the other fabulous activities! (or you can take my workshop and they can take a photography workshop with Jan Phillips in the same location.)
4. A most fabulous cooking class: Make pasta from scratch with a world renowned chef as he shows you his trade secrets. Then sit with your new friends as your pasta dish and many others are served, accompanied by local wines.
5. Explore a vineyard and taste local wines: Spend an afternoon at the exquisite Palazzone where Giovanni shares his passion for creating excellent wines. The site is beautiful, with views back to Orvieto. The original house dates to 1300 and is now a locanda (B&B.) Giovanni will introduce you to several of his wines and help you understand what it means to make wine in Italy. He loves answering your questions. You will not forget this day!
6. The nuances of olive oil: Begin with a fascinating look at olive oil as you sample local selections in an afternoon of olive oil tasting. An official olive oil taster will show you how a true tasting is done.
7. Shop with the locals on Market Day: The weekly market is essential to life in Orvieto. Join locals as you shop for produce picked hours before, just a few kilometers away. Here you have the chance to see Italians up close as they warmly greet each other, boisterously argue with vendors, and lovingly select seasonal flowers to adorn a table at home.
8. Retreat and renew in your restful convent B&B: San Lodovico, the convent B&B, where you stay provides, in many ways, the anchor for your visit. It is a retreat, a quiet, peaceful place, a calm presence as you go about your week. There are places to look out over the countryside, places to sit and think places to enjoy the sun’s warmth, a garden to wander through, grand spaces to marvel at, and flowers to enjoy.
9. Personal Attention: You deserve and expect it. Our hosts Bill and Kristi are committed to making your week in Italy everything you are dreaming of and more. They offer detailed travel information and are available to advise you on every aspect of your trip
Including guidance on plane tickets, itineraries and travel beyond your week in Orvieto.
Once in Italy, they ensure you have everything you need for a comfortable stay. They are your hosts, accompanying you on all cultural events and guiding you around town.
10. An Adventure of a lifetime Travel is enthralling and enriching. Exploring a new country with its fabulous food and wine, its warm hearted people, its ancient history and its breathtaking landscape energizes and enlivens. It is like being 10 years old again, exploring, discovering, and seeing the world with eyes wide open. Isn't it time you had a grand adventure? Join me for “Bella Italia: Orvieto Sketchbook”
Wednesday, May 06, 2009
Sunday, May 03, 2009
Did I tell you I'm teaching watercolor to kids this summer at the San Diego Watercolor Society?
Grades 4-6: July 6-10, 9:30 - 11:30am or Grades 4-6: July 27-31, 9:30 - 11:30am. All the info is here, including classes for younger kids and teens. Only $90 per week and it includes materials.