Saturday, April 23, 2011

San Miguel de Allende: My Sketching & Watercolor workshop

student watercolors
At our week long workshop in San Miguel de Allende we had 23 students total, and they each were in classes of 7-8 people, from all 4 teachers, for 4 days. Each of us teachers taught a piece as part of a progressive project. My part was Sketching & Watercolor. I started by teaching my students to draw and paint from Mexican tiles which I'd purchased in the outdoor market. Above is what one of my classes created the first morning.
student watercolor      student watercolor
Students worked from these small tiles.
Mexican tiles
bird tile  student watercolors
I love the way each person interprets the subject matter differently. I always say your drawing is as unique as your handwriting!
Me teaching
Yes, these lovely spots were our classrooms!
  jane class 2  upstairs jane

student watercolors
More student work, each depicting the same subject in their own way.student watercolors

student watercolor
I had students who'd been artists for years, and others who said they couldn't draw at all....Everyone did soooo well!
Tomorrow's post, on the activites we did while in beautiful San Miguel de Allende, in our art retreat Tesoro del Corazon.

12 comments:

  1. Hi from a new reader! Thanks for walk down memory lane in San Miguel, I was there for a month 2 years ago in May. So loved it! You workshop looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. peteyspaintingsandmore@blogspot.com4/23/2011 9:06 AM

    Ahh, Jane, it was so much fun! Love seeing everyone's beautiful work--each different, but muy bonito!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful art work by your students and the locale - oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sooooooooo sorry I missed it. It looks great. Next time, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful!
    Beautiful artwork... looks like everyone was enjoying themselves. :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all wonderful and oh so vibrant. The workshop sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chellie told me to look at your San Miguel pics; she was right, they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How absolutely fantastic, Jane!!! Wow! It looks like an amazing experience. I look forward to seeing more highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGoodness, Jane, what a wonderful body of work by your students! Great, great, great...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great works, as usual! Can you tell me anything about the gorgeous orange/yellow/blue/purple cloth on the table under the creations? Did you paint that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Sandy, just the table cloths in the breakfast area of our b&b...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I am sory I missed this. San Miguel de Allende looks like an artist's dream. Thank you for sharing all the photos and the work that was done by you and the students is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails