Saturday, November 26, 2011

Around the house ~My Studio ~ Virtual Tour

Daniela Stout and me at Cozy Quilt shop
It's all because of Daniela. Daniela Stout, owner of Cozy Quilt Shop. I've know Daniela, since 2003, when her shop made and donated quilts to the Wildfire Survivors (and I drove my friend Pamela Underwood, who'd lost her home,  to Cozy Quilt, to select a quilt.)
I ran into Daniela at the Long Beach Quilt Festival in July and she asked what type of sewing machine I owned. (A very cheap one.) Fast forward. Cozy Quilt is a Bernina Distributor. I'm now the proud owner of a Bernina 550
my studio
Bernina arrives!
my studio
Bernina demands its own table   
my studio before cleaning!
My studio BEFORE Bernina.

my studio
My studio after cleaning and reorganizing
When I used my old sewing machine, I'd just set it up on my work table, a midst the paint, and glue and whatever I was working on.  It was not treated with respect. The Bernina demanded respect and it's own table. (Not to mention it's quite an investment.) So, my annual (well pretty much) studio cleaning and reorganization begun! I thought you might be interested to see where I work. (It's a small bedroom in my home about 10x12')

my studio
Bookcase and TV
my studio
Glues, gessos and pens
         

my studio
My studio table is our old kitchen table; set in the center of the room, it looks out  a sliding glass door to our front yard.

my studio
My journals: filled and waiting to be filled

my studio
Wooden drawers from Ikea
my studio
wire curtain 'rod' with clips to hang artwork


and the studio wouldn't be complete without my kitties!
buddy in a box
Buddy, in the studio
The desk in my studio
BeBop, in the studio



20 comments:

  1. Inspiring Jane! And good timing, I'm just about to do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, Jane, I loved the peek into your creative space, such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice space--amazing how a new machine makes you want to make some space. I bet the cats thought you cleaned it just for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tour Jane. I'm sure I speak for all the other QP class members when I say we are glad you have a Bernina to play with now! Justine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love studio tours :D My favorite part here was the stand of journals. I don't allow my kitties in my studio because they want to burrow in my fabrics, and then they leave a bed of hairs and dander... :[ Your cats are obviously cleaner than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed seeing your studio. I am on vacation this week and ALMOST done with cleaning mine. I wish I would have taken a before picture!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jane, I'm so happy I could contribute! And I will read your first sentence as as giving me credit.. not blame. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is nice to see that my workspace (2 bedrooms!!) is not the only one in a state of chaos.I too regularly tidy but just as regularly it degenerates into mess. I have at least 3 sewing machines, one of which is a Bernina.
    Love looking at other peoples studios

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like cleaning a studio to get those creative juices flowing. Looking good Jane. I organize my studio about every 3-4 months and I just love the supplies and new ideas I find. I love it when I get comments on my blog too but don't get too much traffic. Would love it if you would visit me! x Josie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing people's before cleaning and after cleaning photos of their studios. Especially the before as it tells a lot about how a person works. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great space!! You ready for Studios Magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your space! Bet the kitties like it "before" or "after."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your Bernina, you won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool space Jane! Your kitties seem to love it too! I notice that you have heart hooks supporting the wire that holds your artwork. Do you have those on the ends too or are they just for support in the middle? I have coated wire that I hooked to shelf brackets that are above my windows and I put the artwork across the windows to represent a valance but they sure do sag! You've given me the idea of support through the middle but I'm not sure I want to keep them attached to the shelf brackets either. In any event, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed seeing your space!
    D~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVED seeing your creative space! I'll be right over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Bernina got her feelings hurt when she read that you'd cleaned up your studio for your new baby! It's been years since my studio has had a good cleaning....maybe next Spring, but then maybe not! I loved your studio tour! Thanks for sharing a space that is undoubtedly pretty precious to you.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your Bernina - it does indeed deserve a very special place of honour!! Thank you for sharing your studio- I drool, in anticipation of my own one day - currently, my supplies are mainly stashed in a closet under stairs, and my machine sits behind our couch.. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello
    I have just found your blog.
    I too have an extremely messy sewing room and hope to take before and after photos, that is before and after the big cleanup, and publish them on my blog.
    Shauna.
    www.shaunaart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jane - Enjoy your Bernina. I got mine two Christmases ago and I am still learning all the tricks. Make sure to take the classes. You are lucky to have a friend/quilt shop/Bernina home all in one. It was fun to see your studio too. My bet is that it will look like the "before picture" in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a fun peek into your work space!
    love all the color and layers of your new fabric work. congratulations on your berninna! I adore mine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails