Sunday, December 11, 2011

Fabric covered swingin' vase

fabric vase
I made these fun fabric swingin' vases.
fabric vase

fabric vase
fabric vase
For these, I used my own original fabric, with a thin batting behind and did some free motion stitching.
fabric vase

fabric vase
Then, just because, I colored in some of the stitched shapes with water soluble crayons.
fabric vase
I used glass test tubes from here. These are the 38x200mm size, $3 each. 

fabric vasefabric vase
fabric vase


I measured them, and stitched two sides, rounding the bottom. You can hem them first, by machine, or hem them later, by hand. I sewed buttons on each side, on the top, and strung the monofilment (fishing line) through the buttons, to create a hanger.

fabric vase
I created another set, as gifts, using fabric printed with a Paris subway map (sorry, I don't remember where I got this fabric) and free motioned it.
fabric vase    fabric vasefabric vase
I hand stitched the top hem of these.
fabric vase

fabric vase  fabric vase
fabric vase



13 comments:

  1. Very cool idea... You're a very clever girl!
    Hugs from Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, where do I shop for the glass tubes??
    Great tut, thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice Jane! Thanks for all of the info!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute Jane! And thanks for being part of Knitting Contrissmas today! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous and I love how you colored in the stitched shapes with the water soluble crayons!!! Just brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful idea, Jane! Thanks, you always come up with a great project to get the creative juices going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very creative idea and most decorative and eye-catching at the same time; purposeful too! Lovely Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so awesome! I have a similar style I'll have to try a couple myself. I also love the green house photos what a perfect venue for these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You come up with the best ideas. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are even cuter than bug's ears. What a great idea! Thanks for putting together the detailed photo tutorial. It's very clear and easy to follow.

    BTW, after seeing your Pogo, I bought one and I am having so much fun with it -- made a little book for Thanksgiving and guests wrote under their photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your vase - a great idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, of course, am coveting those map vases, big time. Great idea and post Jane!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails