Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Teabags...and the Industrial Revolution

teabag industry #2
Industrial Revolution. Measures ~13x9 inches. I know there's a 'deep' artist statement in me about these two pieces, but I haven't come up with it yet... These are teabags on cloth, using the uber-talented Judy Coates Perez tutorials.
teabag industry
Industrial Revolution #2 (I need a better title) measures 14x8". I was going to make a bunch of these and sew them together to create a larger piece, but once I added the batting behind the teabags, glue, 200 count cotton, it was too hard to hand stitch--and I love my hand stitching!
teabag industry #2 detail 4
Some of the imagery is printed from this exercise and some printed of my drawings and some just painted.
teabag industry detail 1

teabag industry detail 4

teabag industry detail 2

teabag industry #2 detail 1
Even a tiny bit of Ralph's Letters can be seen!

14 comments:

  1. These are beautiful pieces, Jane. And I'm so jealous that you can do so many things so well! Someday I will have to find the time for your mixed media experimentation. Meanwhile this week I'm back to learning about soulful stitching with Jude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! So glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! They play nicely with the latest pieces you have posted, soft gentle flowers and hard metal pieces. I have been drinking tea just for the teabags! I am hoping to try this technique after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Très belle ensemble de couleurs... Bises

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the spontaneity of your forms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. maeve315@msn.com12/01/2010 2:57 PM

    Oh, these works are so beautiful!!! I love your work and check your site regularly now. How do you handle the tea bags, do you let them dry first and then empty them carefully? I'd love to play with this technique for fun. Your work is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry about coming up with the verbal interpretation - this work says it all by itself! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane... I love this new piece... looks like you are exploring a very interesting direction for you work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - they are both beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, WOW! You just never cease to amaze and inspire me!!! Love these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are so awesome Jane, I love seeing your take on incorporating the tea bags with all your lovely stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @maeve look at Judy's tutorial, there's a link, and she talks about the teach preparation. but yes, use them, dry them, remove the tea, iron them..

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are beautiful, your colour combinations are divine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting JaneLaFazio.com!

Related Posts with Thumbnails